Dear New Haven Public Schools Community,
I thought you would be interested in an employment opportunity at New Haven Public Schools. The position is Principal - 2021-22 SY at Fair Haven School. Please click the link below for more information about this vacancy.
JOB TITLE: Principal
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent for Instructional Leadership
The principal will support the management structure that facilitates and welcomes the active participation of the entire school community. Working to ensure excellent outcomes for all students the ideal candidate will possess strong and collaborative leadership skills. Essential to the success in this role the principal will lead with an honest, transparent, and inclusive style that supports every student. Emphasis will be placed on following attributes:
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to value input from all stakeholders.
- Proven track record in providing strong instructional leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and interact with all district school partners.
- Knowledge of and experience with the benefits and challenges of schools.
- Confident, accessible, and dedicated to inspiring excellence in others.
- Demonstrated experience managing talent, overseeing organizational systems, and engaging families and community partners for equity and excellence.
- Directs the overall management of the school including academic, co-curricular, and support programs through coordination of the administrative staff and Instructional Leaders, with accountability to Central Office administration, particularly to the Superintendent of Schools.
- Directs long range planning processes that identify needs, implement appropriate plans, and assess results in order to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
- Coordinates and completes all budgets within the school. Prepares and submits the final budgetary request for the building, including projection of staffing needs, and monitors the expenditure of all funds.
- Develops programs and activities that enhance communication and encourage meaningful involvement by staff, students, parents, and the community in the affairs of the school.
- Evaluates selected teachers in compliance with the New Haven Public Schools Teacher Evaluation.
- Makes final decisions on all staffing recommendations within the school.
- Supervises and evaluates all full-time administrative staff assigned to the building.
- Develop programs to orient staff to the school, as well as to specific required skills in instructional methodologies and school procedures.
- Recommends termination of employees when necessary, assembling appropriate substantiating information, and arranging any necessary conferences and hearings.
- Supervises departments by working closely with instructional leaders on curriculum, schedules, budget, teaching assignments, and all issues related to departmental management.
- Attends Board of Education meetings and participates as requested by the Superintendent.
- Keeps informed on current trends, practices, and research in education by advanced study, visiting school systems elsewhere, attending conferences, and other appropriate means.
- Establishes and maintains favorable relationships with students, parents, and community groups to foster understanding and solicit support for overall objectives and programs.
- In consultation with the Superintendent, establishes annual action goals on a clearly defined priority basis, prepares strategies for achieving those goals, and develops criteria for evaluating the accomplishments of the established goals.
- Accepts additional assignments in the role of principal as directed by the Superintendent of Schools.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Candidates should possess a Master’s Degree and at least seven (7) years of successful experience in a leadership position in a school system, including significant experience in education. Candidates should also be able to provide evidence of successful experience that demonstrates:
- The Intermediate Administrator or Supervisor Certification (092); either already holding that certification, or hold a comparable certification with the ability to secure the appropriate Connecticut certification.
- At least 7 years of experience in education, reflecting successful teaching, and successful school or program leadership, preferably in an urban district.
- Demonstrated achievement as an educational leader, including specific evidence of improvement in student learning as a result of the candidate’s leadership.
- Effective management and leadership of adults, including in coaching, evaluation, and team-building among a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pedagogical models and strategies to improve instructional delivery; ability to design, deliver, and support high quality professional learning for teachers and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and cross-organizationally to accomplish integrated projects.
- Outstanding problem-solving and policy design skills.
- Demonstrated ability to get along with a diverse group of co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Established by the Board of Education
SALARY GROUP: Principal (12 months) Local 18 (SAA)
EVALUATION: Performance evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board of Education’s policy on evaluation of administrative/supervisory personnel.
- All candidates must upload requested documents, including: cover letter, current resume, all college/university transcripts, and three (3) letters of professional reference that were prepared within the last three years.
- For internal candidates, one of the three letters of reference is required to be from your current Principal and/or Assistant Superintendent.